The Berry Cottage became the flagship structure for the Stephenville Historical House Museum in 1966 through the efforts of the Stephenville Study Club and Twentieth Century Club. An electrical fire ravaged the house in 2015, causing extensive damage to the attic, interior walls, and ceilings. Thanks to the efforts of firefighters, very few historical artifacts were damaged. Restoration efforts were challenging and time consuming due to the historical nature of the building, and great care was taken to preserve the historical appearance of this 1869 stone structure.
The museum's Board of Directors is excited to present the Berry Cottage to the community with a new, dual-purpose mission that will better serve the public. A portion of the house is designated as a research library and archival storage area with the remainder set up as an historical home open for guided tours.
Photos of fire damage: